Trust the Evidence, Not Your Gut
“In medicine, the evidence-based movement arose in response to thousands of deaths and billions of wasted dollars that could have been averted by applying proven practices.
Similarly, in other fields, the growing pile of studies on the human and financial costs of employee disengagement, management distrust, poor group dynamics, faulty incentive schemes and other preventable damage suggests a need for an evidence-based management movement. Some organizations are leading the way. It’s time for many more to follow suit. “
Jeffrey Pfeffer and Robert Sutton
(Professors at Stanford and authors of “Hard Facts, Dangerous Half-Truths, and Total Nonsense: Profiting from Evidence-Based Management.”)
Evidence-based Management's Top Five:
- Face the hard facts, and build a culture in which people are encouraged to tell the truth, even if it is unpleasant.
- Be committed to "fact based" decision making -- which means being committed to getting the best evidence and using it to guide actions.
- Treat your organization as an unfinished prototype -- encourage experimentation and learning by doing.
- Look for the risks and drawbacks in what people recommend -- even the best medicine has side effects.
- Avoid basing decisions on untested but strongly held beliefs, what you have done in the past, or on uncritical "benchmarking" of what winners do.
“If you want to teach people a new way of thinking, don’t bother trying to teach them. Instead, give them a tool the use of which will lead to new ways of thinking.”
R. Buckminster Fuller
mercanix provides Evidence-based Management Solutions for two kinds of organizations:
- Growth organizations, teams or departments that need just enough infrastructure to reduce the complexity, chaos and waste that growth and change creates.
- Large-scale companies wanting to gain agility, speed, innovation and energy while reducing waste, complexity and challenging conditions.
On-Demand CTO Services - Technology Requirements, Analysis, Due Diligence and Deployment Services
beacon for Transformation Programs & Strategy Execution > external website
Custom Web & Mobile Applications for Leadership & Management
Recent Blog Posts
This is a cross section of some of the most influential research sources (in book form) we have used in designing and developing our products and services. We have used many other periodical articles and papers as well, in addition to our own primary and secondary research. Don't hesitate to contact us for our full bibliography.